Complete list of all National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries in India- PDF
About National Parks in India
- What is a National Park?
An area that is identified as being rich in biodiversity is strictly protected from activities like industry or residential development, poaching, deforestation, hunting, forestry, grazing, cultivation, and any other activity which may damage the flora and fauna of that region. The area is declared as a National Park under law, and the boundaries are well defined. They are not to be exploited in any manner whatsoever.
- Which Indian law provides provision for National Parks?
The Wildlife Protection Act of 1972 provides provision for several protected areas and reserves including National Parks, Wildlife Sanctuaries, Tiger Reserves, Conservation Reserves, and Community Reserves. National Parks and Tiger Reserves are more strictly protected than other areas.
- How many National Parks are there in India?
There are a total of 103 National Parks in India (as of 2017).
- Which is the state with the maximum number of National Parks, and Maximum area under National Parks?
Madhya Pradesh and Andaman and Nicobar have the highest number of National Parks (9 each).
- Largest and Smallest National Park in India?
Largest – Hemis National Park, Jammu & Kashmir
Smallest – South Button Island National Park, Andaman, and the Nicobar Islands
Important facts about the National Parks in India
|Number of National||104|
|Total area covered||40,501 sq.km.|
|Maximum National Park state||M.P. (9), Andaman & Nicobar (9)|
|First National Park||Jim Corbett National Park|
|Largest National Park||Hemis National Park|
|Smallest National Park||South Button National Park|
|Latest National Park||Kuno National Park|
What is the difference between National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries?
- The difference between a National Park and a Wildlife Sanctuary is that no human activity is allowed inside a national park, while limited activities are permitted within the sanctuary.
- In Biosphere Reserve, limited economic activity (sand and stone mining) is permitted.
National parks in India are IUCN category II protected areas. India’s first national park was established in 1936 as Hailey National Park, now known as Jim Corbett National Park, Uttarakhand.
In 1972, India enacted the Wildlife Protection Act and Project Tiger to safeguard the habitats of conservation-reliant species. Here is the complete list of National Parks in India.
Here’s the state-wise list of national parks and wildlife sanctuaries in India:
The trick to remember: West Bengal Ki Jalpari Neora Single hain aur bade hi Sunder or Gori Boxer hain.
- Sundarbans National Park
- Buxa Tiger Reserve
- Gorumara National Park
- Jaldapara National Park
- Neora Valley National Park
- Singalila National Park
- Bandhavgarh National Park
- Kanha National Park
- Madhav National Park
- Mandla Fossils National Park
- Van Vihar National Park
- Panna National Park
- Pench National Park
- Sanjay National Park
- Satpura National Park
- Bandipur National Park
- Bannerghatta National Park
- Kudremukh National Park
- Nagarhole National Park
- Betla National Park
- Hazaribagh National Park
- Bhitarkanika National Park
- Blackbuck National Park
- Gir Forest National Park
- Marine Gulf of Kutch park
- Vansda National Park
Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Campbell Bay National Park
- Galathea National Park
- Mahatma National Park
- Middle Button National Park
- Mount Harriet National Park
- North Button National Park
- South Button National Park
- Rani Jhansi National Park
- Saddle Peak National Park
- Chandoli National Park
- Nagaon National Park
- Sanjay Gandhi National Park
- Tadoba National Park
- Gugamal National Park
Jammu and Kashmir
- Dachigam National Park
- Hemis National Park
- Kishtwar National Park
- Salim Ali National Park
Tricks to remember: Sarita eats Banana (Kela) and saw a lion in Dessert of Mount Abu Park Rajasthan and Run due to fear (Darr).
- Darrah National Park
- Desert National Park
- Keoladeo National Park
- Mount Abu Wildlife Sanctuary
- Ranthambore National Park
- Sariska Tiger Reserve
- Dibru-Saikhowa National Park
- Kaziranga National Park
- Manas National Park
- Orang National Park
- Nameri National Park
- Nandankanan Zoological Park
- Simlipal National Park
Tricks to remember: Uttar Pradesh ke Ghaziabad main Doodheshwar mandir hain.
- Dudhwa National Park
- Valmiki National Park
- Eravikulam National Park
- Mathikettan National Park
- Periyar National Park
- Silent Valley National Park
- Gangotri National Park
- Govind Wildlife Sanctuary
- Guindy National Park
- Gulf of Mannar National Park
- Indira Sanctuary
- Mudumalai National Park
- Mukurthi National Park
- Palani Hills National Park
- Harike Wetland
- Kalesar National Park
- Sultanpur National Park
- Great Himalayan National Park
- Pin Valley National Park
- Indravati National Park
- Kanger Ghati National Park
- Jim Corbett National Park
- Nanda Devi National Park
- Rajaji National Park
- Valley of Flowers National Park
- Kasu Reddy National Park
- Vanasthali National Park
- Keibul Lamjao National Park
- Sirohi National Park
- Khangchendzonga Park
- Mouling National Park
- Namdapha National Park
- Murlen National Park
- Blue Mountain National Park
- Papikonda National Park
- Sri Venkateswara Park
- Mollem National Park
- Mrugavani National Park
- Ntangki National Park
Following is the list of all major Wildlife Sanctuaries (of India):
|Chandraprabha Sanctuary||Uttar Pradesh|
|Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary||Karnataka|
|Dachigam Sanctuary||Jammu & Kashmir|
|Indian Wild Ass Sanctuary||Rann of Kutch (Gujarat)|
|Karakoram Wildlife Sanctuary||Jammu & Kashmir|
|Tadwai Sanctuary||Warangal (Andhra Pradesh)|
|Tungabhadra Sanctuary||Bellary (Karnataka)|
|Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary||Rajasthan|
|Chilka Lake Bird Sanctuary||Puri (Odisha)|
|Ghatprabha Bird Sanctuary||Karnataka|
|Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary (also Vembanad Bird Sanctuary)||Kerala|
|Kaundinya Bird Sanctuary||Chittoor (Andhra Pradesh)|
|Mayani Bird Sanctuary||Satara (Maharashtra)|
|Nal Sarovar Bird Sanctuary||Ahmedabad (Gujarat)|
|Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary||Nellore (Andhra Pradesh)|
|Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary||Tamil Nadu & Andhra Pradesh|
|Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary||Karnataka|
|Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary||Gurgaon (Haryana)|
|Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary||Chorao Island (Goa)|
|Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary||Tamil Nadu|
|Mount Abu Wildlife Sanctuary||Rajasthan|
|Buxa Tiger Reserve||West Bengal|
|Sariska Tiger Reserve||Rajasthan|
|Pachmarhi Biosphere Reserve||Madhya Pradesh|
|Sunderban Tiger Reserve||West Bengal|
Did You Know?
- An international organization, the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), and its World Commission on Protected Areas have defined “National Park” as its Category II type of protected areas.
- The United States established the first “public park or pleasuring-ground for the benefit and enjoyment of the people”, Yellowstone National Park, in 1872.
- Northeast Greenland National Park is the world’s largest and most northerly national park. It is the largest protected land area in the world.
Complete list of all National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries in India PDF Download link below
- Achievements: First in the World- PDF
- Important CEO and Company Headquarters- PDF
- Countries and Capitals with Currency and Language- PDF
- Important Sports & Games Terminologies- PDF
- Complete list of Important Trophies and Cups related to Sports- PDF
- Sources and Diseases caused by Vitamin and Mineral Deficiency- PDF