Previous 6 month’s Important Current Affairs of West Bengal (January- June 2020)
West Bengal Current Affairs plays a crucial role in competitive exams conducted by different West Bengal Government Recruitment Boards.
These include Public Service Commission (WBCS), West Bengal Group D Recruitment Board, West Bengal Police Recruitment Board, Railway Recruitment Board Kolkata, West Bengal Health Recruitment Board WBHRB, Calcutta High Court Recruitment, West Bengal Municipal Service Commission and others.
Today we are presenting the much-awaited Previous 6 month’s Important Current Affairs of West Bengal (January- June 2020)
Previous 6 month’s Important Current Affairs of West Bengal (January- June 2020) PDF Download link is provided at the of this post
In this PDF, you can download the most important exclusively selected Current Affairs of West Bengal from January to June 2020.
Previous 6 month’s Important Current Affairs of West Bengal (January- June 2020)
Below you can read/ download the most important Current Affairs of West Bengal (January- June 2020) month-wise.
WB govt launches “Karmabhumi” a job portal to help IT, professionals
- A web portal will act as a medium between the professionals and IT companies in Bengal.
- There are around 700 IT and ITeS companies at Salt Lake Sector V and Rajarhat where at present around 2.5 lakh people work.
- IT professionals now connect to IT companies of Bengal through karmabhumi.nltr.org.
State holiday in Bengal on National Doctors Day
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday announced that July 1, observed as National Doctors Day, will be a State holiday.
- National Doctors Day is observed on July 1 in memory of legendary physician and former Chief Minister of West Bengal, Bidhan Chandra Roy, who was born on July 1, 1882. He died on the same day in 1962.
Amazon, BigBasket get a nod to deliver liquor in West Bengal
- E-commerce giant Amazon and Alibaba-backed BigBasket have got approval to deliver liquor in West Bengal, according to a document.
- Online grocery platform BigBasket said this will be the company’s first foray into the country’s liquor delivery segment. The clearance also signals Amazon’s entry into space, likely for the first in India.
- State-owned West Bengal State Beverages Corporation Ltd (BevCo) invited the two companies to sign the agreements for empanelment for home delivery after finding them eligible, as per a notice dated June 19.
- Jharkhand was the first state in the country to allow home delivery of liquor by online platforms.
CM to provide Rs 5 lakh, job to family of two martyred in Galwan Valley
- West Bengal Chief Minister on Wednesday (June 17) announced to provide Rs 5 lakh along with a West Bengal government job to one member of the families of two Jawans from West Bengal that were killed in action in the Galwan Valley (Ladakh) on June 15 night.
West Bengal gets immunity-boosting ‘Sandesh’ to fight coronavirus
- At a time when people are caught between what to eat and what not to eat, a famous sweets shop in Kolkata has come up with an innovative sweet – Immunity Sandesh.
- This sweet has been made entirely without any artificial ingredients or sweetener. It is made with Himalayan honey making it healthy and low on calories.
- The sweet contains close to 15 ingredients having medicinal properties – turmeric, honey, tulsi, cardamom, jasthi and others besides nuts and dry fruits.
West Bengal govt launches exit app for stranded people of other states
- On May 5, 2020, The West Bengal (WB) state Home Secretary, Alapan Bandopadhyay announced that the WB
- The government launched an “exit app” for people of other states who are stranded in the state due to the lockdown and want to return to their native place.
West Bengal announces two new schemes- ‘Sneher Porosh’ & ‘Prochesta’
- On 5th May 2020, The Chief Minister of West Bengal Mamata Banerjee launched two schemes ‘Sneher Porosh’ to provide support for the migrant workers and ‘Prochesta’ to help the workers of the unorganized sector of Bengal to enable them to earn their living in the lockdown situation.
- Prochesta Scheme:
- Prochesta Scheme is to provide daily wages to all the daily wage workers whose livelihoods are disturbed because of the national lockdown.
- The scheme application submission commenced on 15th April 2020 and the last date for submission of the application is 15th May 2020.
- The eligibility criteria for applying for this scheme are:
- The applicant should be a resident of West Bengal state.
- The applicant should be a daily wage worker and a sole earning member of the family.
- Should not be a beneficiary of any social scheme of the state
- Only one person of a family is eligible
- Should not have other sources of income
- The application to the scheme can be done through online in the official site: prachestawb.in or the form can be obtained from the office of District Magistrate or Office of Commissioner of Kolkata Municipal corporation for free of cost or through the android mobile application ‘Prochesta Prokolpo’
- The beneficiaries will benefit Rs 1000 directly to their bank account.
- Sneher Porosh:
- Sneher Parash scheme is to provide support for the migrant workers of West Bengal who are stranded in different parts of the nation.
- The scheme application submission commenced on 20th April 2020 and the last date for submission of the application is 3rd May 2020.
- The eligibility for applying for this scheme are
- The beneficiary should be a resident of West Bengal
- The persons who are stranded in the other parts of the country
- Should have a proof of residence in West Bengal like Khadyasathi number or Voter card number
- The migrant labors are required to submit the physical application forms.
- The Jai Bangla Sneher Porosh App can be used to apply for the Jai Bangla Rs. 1000 schemes for migrant workers.
WB launches ‘Matir Smristi’ scheme to utilize 50,000-acres barren land in 6 districts
- On May 14, 2020, The West Bengal (WB) Government launched ‘Matir Smristi’ scheme to utilize 50,000 acres of barren land in 6 districts for income-generating activities like horticulture and pisciculture involving the locals.
- Chief Minister (CM) Mamata Banerjee also added that the scheme will benefit around 2.5 lakh people in rural Bengal.
- About Matir Smristi: There is at least 50,000 acre of barren land in Bankura, Birbhum, Purulia, Jhargram, West Burdwan and West Midnapore districts, which cannot produce anything naturally nor can the farmers cultivate on the strip.
NABARD grants Rs 1,050 crore during FY 21 for the benefit of farmers & poor.
- On May 29, 2020, National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD), a development bank focusing primarily on the rural sector of the country, has extended Rs 1,050 crore special liquidity facility (SLF) to West Bengal (WB) so far in the current fiscal year (FY 21) for the welfare of farmers and poor people in the state.
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD): Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra, Chairman– Govinda Rajulu Chintala
Centre, WB Govt inked loan agreements with AIIB and World Bank for “West Bengal Major Irrigation and Flood Management Project”.
- The Government of India and West Bengal Government have inked two loan agreements with Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) and World Bank (WB) for the “West Bengal Major Irrigation and Flood Management Project” to improve irrigation services and flood management in the Damodar Valley Command Area (DVCA) of West Bengal.
- The total outlay of the project is $413.8 million.
- The Government of West Bengal has infused $123.8 million for this project.
- Agreement with World Bank:
- One agreement is inked with the World Bank (WB) for a loan of $145 million. It was signed by Sameer Kumar Khare, Additional Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance on behalf of the Government of India; Krishna Gupta, Principal Resident Commissioner, on behalf of the Government of West Bengal and Mr. Junaid Ahmad, Country Director, India on behalf of the World Bank.
- The loan is financed by the lending arm of WB i.e. International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD).
- The loan has a 6-year grace period and a maturity of 23.5 years.
- About World Bank Headquarters– Washington, D.C., United States
- President– David Malpass
- Members– 189 countries
- Agreement with Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank:
- The other agreement was inked with the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) for $145million. The agreement was signed by Sameer Kumar Khare, Additional Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, and RajatMisra, Director-General on behalf of the AIIB.
- The loan has a 6-year grace period and a maturity of 24 years.
- About AIIB: Headquarters– Beijing, China
- President– JinLiqun
- Membership– 102; 80 members & 22 prospective members
Need and Benefit for improvement
- The DVCA is over 60 years old and in need of modernization.
- The Lower Damodar basin area is historically flood-prone.
- On average, 33,500 hectares of the cropped area and 461,000 people have affected annually.
- In order to overcome this, the project will reduce flooding, including strengthening of embankments and desilting.
- Benefit: It will benefit about 2.7 million farmers from five districts of West Bengal across 393,964 ha area with better irrigation services and improved protection against annual flooding.
SNBNCBS develops Nanomedicine to alter oxidative stress to treat COVID-19
- On 30th April 2020, The Scientists of N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences (SNBNCBS), Kolkata developed a nanomedicine, safe and cost-effective, to treat many diseases by altering oxidative stress in the body and the research will support the combat against the COVID-19 in India.
- About SNBNCBS: Director– Samit Kumar Ray, Established in– 1986.
India’s football legend & Padma Shri awardee Chuni Goswami passed away at 82
- Former India football captain Subimal Goswami, commonly known by his nickname Chuni Goswami, passed away at the age of 82 in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- He was born on January 15, 1938, in Kishoreganj, now Bangladesh.
- About Goswami:
- He started his international career in 1957, who was one of the biggest stars of the national team.
- In his college days, he captained Calcutta University in both football and cricket in the same year.
- Goswami played 50 matches for India as a footballer from 1956 to 1964. However, he quit international football in 1964, at the age of 27.
- Cricket career: Goswami was successful in cricket as well, he represented Bengal in 46 first-class games between 1962 and 1973.
- Goswami was part of the Bengal’s triumphant Santosh Trophy squad thrice in 1955, 1958, and 1959.
- In 1966, he and Subroto Guha plotted the historic innings defeat of Gary Sobers’ West Indies by the combined Central and East Zone team under Hanumant Singh in Indore. Goswami took 8 wickets in that fixture.
- He was appointed the Bengal Ranji Trophy captain in 1971-72 season and under his captaincy, the team reached the final, before losing against Bombay at the Brabourne Stadium.
- Achievements of Goswami: Under the captaincy of Goswami, the Indian Football team won gold at the 1962 Asian Games, finished runner-up at the Asian Cup in 1964 & narrowly lost to Burma in Markeda football six months later.
- In club football, Goswami always played for Mohun Bagan (professional football club in West Bengal) throughout his career before his retirement and captained the club in five seasons from 1960 to 1964.
- Goswami also served Indian football as a selector in the 1970s and was part of an advisory committee when the National Football League began in 1996.
- Awards: Goswami won the Arjuna Award in 1963 and was awarded the prestigious Padma Shri Award in 1983.
- The Indian postal department had also honored Goswami with a commemorative stamp on his birthday in January 2020.
- He also served as the Tata Football Academy as its Director and was appointed the Sheriff of Kolkata in 2005.
- He was awarded the Mohun Bagan Ratna in 2005 and was bestowed the Banga Bibhusan in 2013.
Famous historian Hari Shankar Vasudevan passed away at 68
- On 10th May 2020, Eminent Historian Hari Shankar Vasudevan passed away at the age of 68 in a private hospital at Kolkata after testing positive for novel coronavirus on May 6th, 2020.
- He was a highly respected academic and writer and he was the author of Shadow of Substance: Indo-Russian Trade and Military-Technical Cooperation and Footsteps of AfanasiiNikitin: Travels through Eurasia and India in the Early 21st Century.
IIT Kharagpur ranked 57th, University of Auckland topped in THE’s 2nd edition of Impact Rankings 2020
- On April 22, 2020, According to Times Higher Education(THE)’s 2nd edition of Impact rankings 2020, The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur has secured 57th rank with a score of 87.9 among global universities.
- The list is topped by the University of Auckland, New Zealand with a score of 98.5, followed by the University of Sydney (98.1), Western Sydney University(97.9) in Australia.
Chittaranjan locomotive works of Indian Railways creates world record of making 431 locomotives for FY 20
- On March 31, 2020, Chittaranjan Locomotive Works (CLW), the manufacturing unit of Indian Railways based in Asansol, West Bengal (WB), has set the Limca Book of Records for producing record 431 locomotives in the financial year 2019-2020 (FY20) in 292 working days. It is 2.15 times its installed capacity of 200 locomotives per year.
- This was achieved despite novel coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions that creating disruptions during the current financial year (FY20).
- Key Points:
- The unit has surpassed its own previous year (2018-2019) record when it produced 402 locomotives in 297 working days.
- CLW’s Locomotive production has increased 75% over the last 6 years period from 250 in 2014-15 to 431 in 2019- 20 in line to support 100% Electrification and ‘Make in India’ initiative of the central government.
- About Indian Railways:
- Headquarters– New Delhi
- Union Minister– Piyush Goyal
Eminent theatre actor Usha Ganguly passed away at 75
- On April 23, 2020, Usha Ganguly, was an Indian theatre director-actor and activist, most known for her work in Hindi theatre in the 1970s and 1980s, passed away at the age of 75 in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- She was born in Jodhpur, Rajasthan in 1945.
- She founded the Rangakarmee theatre group in 1976, known for its productions like Mahabhoj, Rudali, Court Martial and Antaryatra.
- She was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for Direction given by Sangeet Natak Akademi, India’s National Academy of Music, and Dance & Drama in 1998.
- Usha was also honored by the West Bengal government as the “Best Actress” for the
- Play ‘GudiaGhar’ and “GirishSamman” honor in 2016 for her contribution to theatre.
India post launches India’s 1st digital parcel locker service in Kolkata
- For the 1st time in India, the Department of Posts (DoP), Kolkata (West Bengal circle), has launched free digital parcel locker service in 2 post offices (the Nabadiganta IT post office in Sector 5 of Salt Lake City & at the post office in New Town’s Action Area I).
- Under this service, customers will be able to collect their parcel from the post office according to their convenience.
- This facility is quite popular in European countries but is starting for the first time in India.
- This service has been done for such people of the working-class, who do not have to receive any parcel at home. Such people can take their parcel and letters addressed to them from the kiosks at 24×7.
- How does it will work:
- Customers adopting this facility will be given a special locker number for their address wherever the parcel will be dropped from India Post.
- In this digital parcel locker, the parcel will be dropped and the customer will get an OTP (one-time-password) message along with SMS (Short Message Service) intimation.
- Customers will be able to get their parcel from the locker for the next 7 days after the parcel is dropped.
- Amazon may join: The people, who are making purchases from Amazon, can put down a locker number as their address when making purchases that in turn will help save the Amazon delivery boy the issue of returning to the addressee’s doorstep with the same parcel.
- Department of Posts (DoP): Headquarters– New Delhi, Parent Ministry– Ministry of Communications, Minister responsible– Ravishankar Prasad
International Conference on Nano Science and Technology 2020 (ICONSAT) was held in Kolkata
- On March 5, 2020, The International Conference on Nano Science and Technology 2020 (ICONSAT) was held at Biswa Bangla Conventional Centre, Kolkata.
- The event was supported by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) & organized by S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata. The conference was held from March 5 to 7,2020.
- Objective: The conference provides a platform for the young researchers &students from within the country and abroad, with the latest development in the emerging areas of Nano Science and Technology.
Agartala and Ghojadanga approved as authorized land immigration check posts
- On March 6, 2020 Government of India (GOI) has approved Tripura capital Agartala and West
- Bengal’s Ghojadanga as authorized land immigration check posts to enter or exit India. Agartala and Ghojadanga are located along the Indo-Bangladesh border.
Indian football legend P.K. Banerjee passed away at 83
- On March 20, 2020, Indian football player Pradip Kumar Banerjee passed away at the age of 83 in Kolkata, West Bengal. He was born on June 23, 1936, in Jalpaiguri, West Bengal.
- K Banerjee scored 65 international goals in 84 appearances for the national team.
- Banerjee led India in the 1960 Rome Olympics and also represented India in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- He was one of the first recipients of the Arjuna Award when the awards were instituted in 1961.
- He was awarded the prestigious Padma Shri in 1990 and was named Indian Footballer of the 20th century by the International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS).
- Banerjee won Asian Games gold medal in 1962, won the gold medal at the Jakarta Asian Games in 1992,
- FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) awarded him the Centennial Order of Merit in 2004.
Veteran photographer & Padma Shri awardee Nemai Ghosh passed away at 86
- On March 25, 2020 Veteran photographer & Padma Shri (2010) awardee, Nemai Ghosh passed away at 86 due to his age-related ailments at his birthplace Kolkata.
- He is known for working with director Satyajit Ray as a still photographer who captured the director, framing actors over 2 decades.
- He debuted with “Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne” (1969) and was with Satyajit Ray till his last film “Agantuk” (1991).
- He also wrote books like, “Dramatic Moments: Photographs and Memories of Calcutta Theatre from the Sixties to the Nineties” & “Manik Da: Memoirs of Satyajit Ray” among others.
Indian Railways launched its First “Restaurant on Wheels” at Asansol Station
- On February 26, 2020, Indian railways launched its First “Restaurant on Wheels” at Asansol Station (a division of Eastern railway), West Bengal, for railway passengers and citizens of the city.
- Shri Babul Supriyo, Minister of State for Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoSEFCC) inaugurated the 1st “Restaurant on Wheels” at Asansol station.
- The Restaurant on wheels was developed by modifying 2 over-aged MEMU (Mainline Electric Multiple Unit) coaches. This effort will not only improve the facilities at Asansol station but also generate non-fare revenue earnings of Rs 50 lakhs approximately in the next 5 years.
- The restaurant is named ‘Wow Bhojan’ and the tea boutique has been developed named ‘Chai-Chun’.
Amazon India partnered with Eastern Railways to set up a kiosk at Sealdah railway station in Kolkata
- On January 30 multinational technology company (MNC) Amazon India has partnered with Eastern Railways in order to set up a pick-up kiosk at the Sealdah railway station in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Previously successful pilot of pickup kiosks in 4 railway stations across Mumbai, Maharashtra was set up in 2019.
- Customers can use this point as a pickup location on the checkout page of their order.
- Kiosk: A kiosk is a small open-fronted hut or cubicle from where newspapers, refreshments, tickets, etc will be sold.
Tapas Pal, former Trinamool Congress MP & Bengali actor, passed away at 61
- On February 18, 2020, Bengali actor & former Trinamool Congress MP (Member of Parliament) Tapas pal passed away at the age of 61 in Mumbai, Maharashtra due to cardiac arrest.
- He was born on 19th September 1958 in Chandannagar, West Bengal, and completed his graduation from the Hooghly Mohsin College in Bio-Science.
- Tapas Pal was a member of the All India Trinamool Congress. He was an MLA from Alipore for 2 terms (2001-2006 & 2006-2009) and former MP (Member of Parliament) of Krishnanagar constituency from 2009 to 2019.
- He became popular with his debut film Dadar Kirti (1980) and other films are Saheb (1981), Parabat Priya (1984), Bhalobasa Bhalobasa (1985) and Anurager Choyan (1986) etc.
- About awards: He was awarded the Filmfare Award for his role in Saheb (1981).
Former Indian Footballer Ashok Chatterjee passed away at 78
- On February 22, 2020, The former Indian Footballer Ashok Chatterjee who was a part of India’s bronze-medal winning teams in the Merdeka Cup in 1965 and 1966, passed away at the age of 78 in Kolkata due to age-related issues.
- Ashok was born and brought up at Halder Para Lane, Howrah in Kolkata. He made his International debut in the Merdeka Cup in 1965 against Japan.
- Chatterjee also represented India in the 1966 Asian Games, Bangkok and the Asian cup Qualifiers in 1967
- Ashok Chatterjee captained the Mohun Bagan club in 1969 and he was honored with the Mohun Bagan Lifetime Achievement Award by the club in 2019.
Parikrama lead guitarist & founder Sonam Sherpa passed away at 48
- On February 14, 2020, Sonam Sherpa, founding member & lead-guitarist of music band Parikrama, passed away at the age of 48 in Kurseong, West Bengal due to cardiac arrest. He was born on 8th October 1971 in Kalimpong, West Bengal.
- Sherpa formed a Parikrama music band with his associate Subir Malik.
- The band memorable songs include “But it rained”, “Till I’m no one again”, “Open skies”, “Am I dreaming” and also gave music for the Bollywood movie, Manjunath.
- Sherpa owned and ran Parikrama school at Hauz Khas Village, New Delhi.
- “But it rained” song was selected as “25 Greatest Indian Rock Songs of the Last 25 years” and Sherpa also featured as “Top 10 Guitarist of India” by Rolling Stone magazine.
Previous 6 month’s Important Current Affairs of West Bengal (January- June 2020)
4th Buxa bird festival 2020 commenced in West Bengal
- On January 7, 2020, A 3-day long 4th edition of the Buxa Bird Festival 2020 has begun in Buxa National Park in the Alipurduar district of West Bengal (WB).
- The festival, organized by West Bengal Forest Department, will see the participation of around 50 people, including prominent ornithologists, birdwatchers and bird enthusiasts from Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Gujarat, Himachal Pradesh, and Delhi.
- Till now, the presence of More than 300 rare species of birds has been noticed in Buxa National Park.
Kolkata Police started 3rd edition of ‘Sukanya’ project
- On January 06, 2020, the Kolkata police of West Bengal started the 3rd edition of the ‘Sukanya’ project in the state.
- The project provides self- defense training to girls studying in school and colleges of Kolkata city. In the 3rd batch of the project, 100 city-based schools and colleges lying in the Kolkata police jurisdiction were given training.
- Girl students of VIII, IX, XI class and girls studying in the 1st year at educational institutions will be provided with the self-defense training.
- Sukanya project: It is an initiative by the Kolkata Police’s Community Policing Wing and is funded by Women and Child Development (WCD) and Social Welfare Department (SWD) of the West Bengal government.
4 Indian airports received international recognition for reducing emissions
- On January 10, 2020, the Airports Authority of India (AAI) has announced that 4 Indian airports have received International recognition for reducing the carbon emission level as per the standards set by Airports Council International (ACI) for the grading.
- The 4 airports are Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport Kolkata, West Bengal, Biju Patnaik International Airport Bhubaneswar, Odisha, Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, Trivandrum International Airport Trivandrum, Kerala.
Dharmendra Pradhan launched PURVODAYA mission in the steel sector in Kolkata
- On January 11, 2020, the Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Steel (MoPNG&S) Shri Dharmendra Pradhan launched PURVODAYA with the aim of driving accelerated development of eastern India through integrated steel hub in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- PURVODAYA: Proposed Integrated Steel Hub:
- The proposed steel hub encompasses of Odisha, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal, and Northern Andhra Pradesh.
- The objective of this hub is to enable swift capacity addition and improve the overall competitiveness of steel producers in terms of cost as well as quality.
- Steel hub focus: The Integrated Steel Hub will focus on 3 key elements. They are Capacity addition through greenfield steel plants.
- Steel cluster development near integrated steel plants & demand centers.
- Logistics & utilities infrastructure transformation for change in the socio-economic landscape in the East.
West Bengal leads in vegetable production, Andhra Pradesh tops in Fruits in 2018-19: Horticultural production data
- On January 20, 2020, According to the State-wise horticulture production data released at a conference organized by the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare, the state of West Bengal (WB) has been at the forefront of vegetable production in 2018-19 (3rd advance estimates), where the production of vegetables was 29.55 million tonnes (MT).
- It was followed by Uttar Pradesh –UP (27.70 MT) and Madhya Pradesh (17.77 MT).
- Fruit crops Production:
- Andhra Pradesh (AP) continued to hold the top spot in fruits with 17.61MT in 2018-19. It was followed by Maharashtra (10.82 mt) and UP (10.65 mt).
India’s first underwater metro, ‘Kolkata metro’ to be opened by March 2022
- On January 28, 2020, Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation (KMRC) is set to complete its East-West Project, which runs partly under the Hooghly river, West Bengal, by March 2022.
- It will be India’s first underwater metro.
- The new metro rail is expected to carry about 900,000 people daily & will take less than a minute to cross a 520-meter underwater tunnel.
- 74% of the East-West Metro project is owned by India’s Railway & remaining 26% by the nation’s Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs.
West Bengal secures the third spot in SKOCH State of Governance 2019 ranking
- On January 22, 2020, According to the ‘SKOCH State of Governance 2019’ report, Gujarat gained the top spot on the back of better performance in Health, Education, Power and e-Governance segments.
- West Bengal has secured the third position in the 2019 ranking.
Abhijit Banerjee conferred D Litt by Alma mater Calcutta University
- On January 28, 2020, Nobel Prize winner in economics Abhijit Vinayak Banerjee conferred with the honorary D Litt (Doctor of Literature) by his alma mater Calcutta University in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Abhijit Banerjee was awarded Nobel Prize in 2019 for an “Experimental approach to alleviating global poverty”.
- He is one of the directors of Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), United States of America (USA) founded in 2003.
- Banerjee had pursued his graduation in economics from the Presidency University, Kolkata, and secured first class first rank in Kolkata University in 1981.
Two Coast Guard ships Annie Besant and Amrit Kaur commissioned at Kolkata
- On January 12, 2020, The two Indian Coast Guard Ships (ICGS) namely Annie Besant and Amrit Kaur, second and third in the series of five Fast Patrol Vessels (FPVs), were commissioned and deployed along the eastern coast by Defence Secretary Ajay Kumar at Khidderpore park, Kolkata, West Bengal.
- With a target of becoming a $ 5 trillion economy by 2024, $ 250 billion will be coming from the maritime zone. The Maritime economy constitutes nearly 5% of the world economy.
Tamra Patra awardee Centenarian Freedom fighter Bhim Chandra Jana dies at 107
- On January 4, 2020, Centenarian Freedom fighter Bhim Chandra Jana, who spied on British police, has died of old-age related ailments in West Bengal’s Howrah district at the age of 107.
- Bhim Chandra Jana was also known as ‘Nanu’ to other freedom fighters of Bengal.
- Jana was awarded by the Government of India after Independence. In 1972, he was awarded the Tamra Patra (a copper plaque given to freedom fighters by the Centre) when Indira Gandhi was the Prime Minister of India.
Sangeet Natak Akademi awardee vocalist Sunanda Patnaik passed away at 85
- On January 19, 2020, Indian Classical Singer Sunanda Patnaik, 85 years old passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal due to age-related complications.
- She was famously known as ‘Guruma’ in the classical music circle.
- She is the daughter of renowned Odia poet Baikunthanath Patnaik and had composed many bhajans (devotional songs) both in Odia and Hindi.
- Sunanda also established the Vishnu Vinayak Sangeet Ashram in Kolkata & trained many Hindustani musicians.
“Calcutta Nights” translation of ‘Raater Kolkata’ done by Rajat Chaudhuri
- On January 29, 2020, Rajat Chaudhuri, translated the book “Calcutta nights” (originally ‘Raater Kolkata’) into English and was published by Niyogi Books.
- The book was first written in Bengali by Hemendra Kumar Roy, a famous Bengali writer and was published in 1923.
- Calcutta nights is the real-life story of the enigmatic ‘Meghnad Gupta’, pen name of the famous Bengali writer Hemendra Kumar Roy.
- The book reveals the darkest secrets of Kolkata to the readers.
- The book discusses past Calcutta, the capital of British India attracted many people from different parts of the country besides Europeans & other foreigners.
Padma Shri awardee and Indian Social Worker Tushar Kanjilal passed away at 85
- On January 29, 2020, Famous social worker, environmentalist, educationist & writer Tushar Kanjilal, 85 years old, passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- He was born on March 1, 1935, at Noakhali, Bangladesh, and was attracted to Marxist ideologies & quit politics in 1967.
- The Government of India awarded Tushar Kanjilal the 4th highest civilian honor of Padma Shri in 1986.
- He also received the Jamnalal Bajaj Award in 2008.
- He was an environmental activist & worked for the preservation of the Mangrove forests in the Sunderbans.
- He also wrote the book ‘Who killed the Sunderbans?”— that deals with the issue of the destruction of Mangrove forests.
Previous 6 month’s Important Current Affairs of West Bengal (January- June 2020) PDF Download Link Below
Download All India Monthly Current Affairs MCQ Compilation of January to June 2020: Click Here
Download 2020 Current Affairs in the Bengali Language: Click Here
Sharing is caring and enable us to work even more dedicated
Previous 6 month’s Important Current Affairs of West Bengal (January- June 2020) | Previous 6 month’s Important Current Affairs of West Bengal (January- June 2020)