Monthly Current Affairs PDF Download: May 2020
Here are the most important Monthly Current Affairs PDF Download: May 2020
Here you can download 180+ Current Affairs in PDF format. Monthly Current Affairs PDF Download: May 2020 in the English language is, completely free of cost.
Monthly Current Affairs PDF Download: April 2020 will be beneficial for UPSC IAS, WBCS Prelims+ Mains 2020-21, Railway Recruitment Board Exams, IBPS PO Assistant, RRB NTPC and other state PSC exams.
Monthly Current Affairs PDF Download: May 2020 download link is available at the end of the post.
Monthly Current Affairs PDF Download: May 2020
- Kashmir saffron receives GI tag from Geographical Indications Registry.
- Mustafa Al Kadhimi becomes new Prime Minister of Iraq
- Capital of Iraq: Baghdad.
- The currency of Iraq: Iraqi dinar.
- Tarun Bajaj becomes new director on RBI Central Board
- Headquarters of RBI: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Governor of RBI: Shaktikanta Das.
- Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, Congress leader in Lok Sabha has been reappointed as chairperson of the Parliament’s public accounts committee (PAC).
- A book titled Vijyant at Kargil: The Life of a Kargil War Hero, released
- This book is a biography of Vir Chakra awardee (posthumously) Captain Vijyant Thapar.
- This book is authored by Vijyant’s father Colonel VN Thapar and writer Neha Dwivedi, a martyr’s daughter.
- World Athletics Day 2020 observed globally on 7 May
- Vesak Day 2020 observed globally on 7 May.
- Gurudev: Journey of the Maestro: The National Gallery of Modern Art has organized a virtual tour to commemorate the 159th birth anniversary of Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore.
- Vladimir Putin honors Kim Jong-un with a World War II medal.
- Russia Capital: Moscow.
- Russia Currency: Russian ruble.
- North Korean capital: Pyongyang.
- North Korea currency: North Korean won.
- Operation “Samudra Setu” launched by the Indian Navy.
- An operation named “Samudra Setu” has been launched by the Indian Navy as a part of India’s effort to bring back Indian citizens who are stranded overseas amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- International Firefighters’ Day observed on May 4.
- Russia plans to launch 1st satellite to monitor Arctic climate in 2020
- Indian journalists win Pulitzer Prize 2020 in feature photography
- Indian journalists namely Dar Yasin, Mukhtar Khan, and Channi Anand have been honored with the 2020 Pulitzer Prize.
- International Day of the Midwife: 5 May
- The theme for 2020 International Day of the Midwife is Midwives with women: celebrate, demonstrate, mobilize, unite – our time is NOW!
- World Asthma Day 2020 observed globally on 5 May
- The theme for 2020 is ‘Enough Asthma Deaths’.
- World Press Freedom Day observed globally on 3rd May
- The theme of World Press Freedom Day 2020: “Journalism without Fear or Favour”.
- Eminent historian & author RV Smith passes Away.
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences honors Professor Shobhana Narasimhan.
- Shikha Sharma appointed as advisor of Google Pay India.
- Sundar Pichai is the Present CEO of Google.
- Alphabet Inc. is the Parent company of Google.
- IIT Madras Professor T Pradeep selected for Nikkei Asia Prize 2020.
- Manipuri doctor, Thangjam Dhabali Singh conferred ‘Order of Rising Sun’ by Japan government.
- International Labour Day 2020 observed globally on 1 May
- Headquarters of International Labour Organization: Geneva, Switzerland.
- Legendary Former India football captain Chuni Goswami passes away.
- He was the captain of the Indian Football Team that won the 1962 Asian Games gold medal.
- Under his captaincy, India finished as runner-up at the Asian Cup in 1964.
- Manipur black rice & Gorakhpur terracotta gets GI tag
- India’s epic mythological saga of the 1980s, ‘Ramayan’ has created the world record of Highest Viewed Entertainment Programme
- On 16th April 2020, the mythological show was watched by 7.7 crore viewers all over the world.
- Renowned Actor Rishi Kapoor passes away at 67.
- Bollywood lost its one of the finest actors, Irrfan Khan on April 29, 2020, who had been battling rare colon cancer.
- India has now become the third-largest military spender of the world, as per the report released by Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day is observed globally on 17th May every year.
- The theme of World Telecommunication and Information Society Day of 2020: “Connect 2030: ICTs for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)”.
- World Hypertension Day is observed globally on 17th May every year. The theme for World Hypertension Day 2020: Measure Your Blood Pressure, Control It, Live Longer.
- International Museum Day is celebrated every year on 18 May.
- The International Museum Day 2020 was celebrated with the theme “Museums for Equality: Diversity and Inclusion”.
- World Bee Day is observed globally on 20th May every year.
- International Tea Day is observed globally on May 21 on the recommendation of India.
- World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development is observed globally on 21 May every year.
- World Metrology Day is observed globally on 20th May every year. This year’s theme for World Metrology Day: Measurements for global trade.
- Anti-Terrorism Day 2020 is observed on 21st May every year in India.
- The day marks the death anniversary of India’s seventh Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on 21 May 1991.
- He was killed in Tamil Nadu in a campaign by the Tamil Tigers Eelam (LTTE) a terrorist group.
- After this assassination, the V.P. Singh government has decided to observe 21st May as Anti-Terrorism Day.
- HIV Vaccine Awareness Day (HVAD) is observed globally on 18 May every year.
- This day is also known as World AIDS Vaccine Day.
- The book called “Wuhan Diary: Dispatches from a Quarantined City” authored by Chinese literary writer Fang Fang.
- Ruskin Bond’s new book titled ‘Hop-On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains, and Planes’ was released on his 86th Birthday in an e-book format.
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan will take charge as the chairman of the World Health Organization (WHO) 34-member Executive Board.
- Prime Minister announces Economic Package of Rs 20 Lakh Crore
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi addressed his countrymen and announced an Economic Package of Rs 20 Lakh crore, giving stress on land, labour, liquidity and law.
- PM stressed on the local products and urged his countrymen to be “Vocal About Local”.
- Prime Minister also mentioned 5-Pillars to make India self-reliant. These 5 pillars are:
- Economy: An economy that brings quantum jump along with incremental change.
- Infrastructure: An infrastructure that becomes the symbol of modern India.
- System: A system that will be based on technology.
- Demography: A vibrant demography that would be the strength as well as the source of energy for self-reliant India.
- Demand: To improve demand and supply chain in India to enhance the Indian economy.
- Slovenia has become the 1st coronavirus-free country in Europe.
- West Bengal Government has launched ‘Matir Smristi’ scheme to utilize 50,000 acres of barren land in 6 districts to generate income activities in horticulture and pisciculture involving the locals.
- The first biopic on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s life, titled ‘Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of A Modern Royal Family’ has been written by royal reporters Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand.
- Mother’s day is celebrated on every second Sunday of May month and this year, it was celebrated on 10th May 2020.
- India celebrates National Technology Day on 11 May every year to mark the successful testing of Shakti-I nuclear missile at the Indian Army’s Pokhran Test Range in Rajasthan.
- International Nurse Day is observed globally on 12 May every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale. The theme for the year 2020 is “Nursing the World to Health”.
- International Family Day observed globally on 15th May every year.
- The International Day of Light is celebrated every year on 16th May.
- Armed Forces Day is observed on the third Saturday in May every year to pay tribute to the men and women who served the United States Armed Forces. In 2020, it was celebrated on the 16th of May.
- Veteran Bengali author Debesh Roy passed away. He was awarded the Sahitya Akademi award for his novel “Teesta Parer Brittanto”.
- Israel has named a street in Tel Aviv as ‘Tagore Street’ after the celebrated Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore as a tribute on his 159th birthday on 08 May.
- FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2020 has been postponed to 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic.
- Indian tennis player Sania Mirza becomes 1st Indian to win Fed Cup Heart Award 2020 for Asia/Oceania zone.
- The Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru has won the SKYTRAX Award 2020 for being the Best Regional Airport in India and Central Asia.
- Changi Airport, Singapore has voted the World’s Best Airport;
- Tokyo Haneda Airport was voted the World’s Cleanest Airport;
- Paris Orly Airport was voted the World’s Most Improved Airport;
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport, Mumbai was voted as Best Airport Staff in India & Central Asia.
- International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers observed on 29 May.
- Headquarters: New York, New York, United States
- South African HIV researcher, Quarraisha Abdool Karim, who found that a topical gel could stop many women catching the virus has been awarded Christophe Merieux Prize.
- Wipro has announced that it has appointed Thierry Delaporte as a new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD) of the company.
- First Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh Ajit Jogi passes away
- According to the Global Economic Outlook, the rating agency Fitch Ratings has slashed India’s GDP growth rate to 5% for the Fiscal Year 2021, citing the slowdown in economic activities and very stringent lockdown policy.
- Indian Army officer Major Suman Gawain is going to be awarded the UN Military Gender Advocate of the Year 2019.
- Indian-American IBM scientist, Rajiv Joshi has bagged the prestigious NYIPLA “Inventor of the Year award” for the year 2020.
- British author K. Rowling released the first two chapters of her new Children’s book “The lckabog”.
- Italy has won UEFA eEURO 2020, beating Serbia in the final to clinch the inaugural virtual European Championship.
- The Indian short video-sharing app ‘Mitron’ has reportedly gained the Number Two spot on the Google Play Store within a month of its release.
- Japanese tennis player Naomi Osaka has become the world’s highest-paid female athlete.
Here are some sample questions from the May 2020 English Current Affairs PDF. 150+ MCQ is provided in the PDF.
Current Affairs MCQ PDF Download: May 2020
- Which country has conferred Manipuri doctor, Thangjam Dhabali Singh with “Order of Rising Sun- Gold and Silver Rays”?
[B] South Korea
- Who won the 2020 PEN/Hemingway Award in the US for her debut novel ‘A Prayer for Travelers’?
[A] Geeta Thunberg
[B] Ruchika Tomar
[C] Savita Mishra
[D] Devis Menon
- Recently Sohrai Khovar painting of which state got GI tag?
- Name the person who has been appointed as the Ambassador/Permanent Representative of India to the Indian United Nations.
[A] Jaideep Mazumdar
[B] T S Tirumurti
[C] Piyush Srivastava
[D] Syed Akbaruddin
- Who is set to take charge as the chairman of the World Health Organization (WHO) Executive Board?
[A] Smriti Irani
[B] Nitin Gadkari
[C] Narendra Modi
[D] Harsh Vardhan
- Who has been appointed new vice president and chief economist of the World Bank?
[A] Lee Ching
[B] Tedros M
[C] Roman Saini
[D] Carmen Reinhart
- The Government of India (GoI), West Bengal state government, and which bank signed a loan agreement for a $145 million project?
[A] Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
[B] New Development Bank (NDB)
[C] World Bank
- Which of the following institutes developed a nanomedicine that promises the treatment of a number of diseases by altering oxidative stress in the body?
[A] S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences
[D] Jamia Millia University
- Which cyclone hit West Bengal and coast of Odisha recently?
- Which state government launched “Matir Smristi “scheme?
[C] West Bengal
Current Affairs PDF Download: May 2020 MCQ PDF Download Link Below
Sharing is caring and enable us to work even more dedicated
- Current Affairs PDF Download: August 2020
- Current Affairs PDF Download: July 2020
- Previous 6 Month’s 800+ Important Current Affairs PDF (January-June 2020)
- Previous 6 month’s Important Current Affairs of West Bengal (January- June 2020)
- Current Affairs PDF Download: June 2020
- Current Affairs PDF Download: May 2020