Current Affairs Update 22-31 May 2021
Here is the Daily Current Affairs Update 22-31 May 2021 covering the following news headlines: Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen conferred with Spain’s top award, Aashritha V Olety becomes India’s first woman flight test engineer, • Research and Analysis Wing chief, Samant Kumar Goel and Intelligence Bureau head Arvind Kumar were given a one-year extension in their services. , Rajesh Bansal appointed as CEO of Reserve Bank Innovation Hub’, etc.
Daily Current Affairs updates are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for WBCS or other competitive exams. Daily Current Affairs Update is the complete bag of the important news that held all day long. Aspirants shall have a clear view of the whereabouts of the world on a daily basis.
So, here is the Daily Current Affairs Update 22-31 May 2021 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt the Current Affairs Update 22-31 May 2021 Quiz.
Latest Current Affairs Update 22-31 May 2021
Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen conferred with Spain’s top award
- Indian economist and Nobel Laureate, Amartya Kumar Sen has been conferred with the ‘2021 Princess of Asturias Award’ by Spain in the social sciences category.
- The 87-year-old Sen was selected from 41 candidates of 20 nationalities for “His research on famines and his theory of human development, welfare economics and the underlying mechanisms of poverty have contributed to the fight against injustice, inequality, disease and ignorance”.
3 Indian peacekeepers to be honoured with UN’s prestigious medal
- Corporal Yuvraj Singh, civilian peacekeeper Ivan Michael Picardo, and Moolchand Yadav are among those to be honoured with the UN’s prestigious medal.
- India is the fifth-largest contributor of uniformed personnel to UN peacekeeping with more than 5,500 military and police serving in peace operations in Abyei, Cyprus, Congo, Lebanon, the Middle East, Somalia, South Sudan and Western Sahara, according to the UN.
Veteran Indian Chemist C.N.R. Rao Receives 2020 International ENI Award
- Noted Indian scientist and Bharat Ratna Professor, N.R. Rao has been felicitated with the International Eni Award 2020 (also called the Energy Frontier award).
- The International Eni Award is considered to be the Nobel Prize in Energy Research.
Dr Nageshwar Reddy becomes first Indian to win Rudolf V Schindler award
- Padma Bhushan awardee and noted gastroenterologist Dr D Nageshwar Reddy, who is also the chairman of AIG Hospitals, has won the Rudolf V Schindler Award from the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE).
- Rudolf V Schindler Award is the highest category in the prestigious Crystal Awards named after Dr Schindlerwho is considered as “the father of gastroscopy.”
IAS VK Pandian to receive FIH President’s Award
- V Karthikeyan Pandian, an IAS officer, and private secretary to Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik was conferred with President’s award by International Hockey Federation through the 47th FIH Congress.
- He was awarded for his contribution in direction of the event and promotion of hockey in Odisha.
Hockey India wins Etienne Glichitch Award
- Hockey India has won the prestigious Etienne Glichitch Award in recognition of its contribution to the growth and development of the sport in the country.
- Other Awards presented as a part of the 47th FIH Congress:
- Pablo Negre Award: Uzbekistan Hockey Federation
- Theo Ikema Award: Polish Hockey Association
- HRH Sultan Azlan Shah Award: Sharon Williamson of New Zealand
- Guust Lathouwers Memorial Trophy: Ivona Makar
Naturalist Jane Goodall wins 2021 Templeton prize for life’s work
- The naturalistJane Goodall has been announced as the 2021 winner of the Templeton Prize in recognition of her life’s work on animal intelligence and humanity.
- Goodall built her global reputation on her groundbreaking studies of chimpanzees in Tanzania in the 1960s.
Aashritha V Olety is India’s first woman flight test engineer
- Squadron Leader, Aashritha V Olety from Karnataka is the first and only woman in the IAF qualified for the role, and as a flight test engineer, she will be responsible for evaluating aircraft and airborne systems before their induction into the armed forces.
Louvre gets its first female leader in 228 years
- Historian Laurence des Carsbecomes the first female president of Musée du Louvre, the world’s largest museum in Paris, France in 228 years.
- The Mona Lisa painting is one of the most emblematic portraits in the history of art, is located at the Louvre Museum, painted by Leonardo da Vinci in the 16th century.
One-year extension for RAW chief Samant Goel, IB head Arvind Kumar
- Research and Analysis Wing chief, Samant Kumar Goeland Intelligence Bureau head Arvind Kumar were given a one-year extension in their services.
- Samant Goel, a 1984-batch IPS officer from Punjab cadre, would continue to be the Secretary of Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) for a period one year beyond the presence tenure which ends on June 30.
- Similarly, Arvind Kumar, an IPS officer of Assam and Meghalaya cadre, will continue to head the Intelligence Bureau for a period of one year after June 30.
B.V.R. Subrahmanyam to be Commerce Secretary
- The appointments committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of V.R. Subrahmanyam, Chief Secretary Jammu & Kashmir as an officer on special duty in the Department of Commerce.
Jagjit Pavadia elected as president of Vienna based INCB
- Jagjit Pavadia, the former Narcotics Commissioner of India and a retired officer of the Indian Revenue Service (Customs), has been elected president of the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB).
- She is the first Indian to be heading the Vienna-based organization and the second woman to hold this office.
Andy Jassy will become Amazon’s CEO on July 5th
- Amazon announced that Jassy, who is the current CEO of Amazon Web Services (AWS), would replace JeffBezos as CEO of the entire company.
IPS Subodh Kumar Jaiswal appointed new CBI director
- IPS officer, Subodh Jaiswal has been appointed Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
Rajesh Bansal appointed as CEO of Reserve Bank Innovation Hub
- The Board of Reserve Bank Innovation Hub (RBIH)has appointed Rajesh Bansal as the chief executive officer (CEO) of the RBIH.
- The Reserve Bank Innovation Hub would develop internal infrastructure to promote fintech research and facilitate engagement with innovators and start-ups.
Himanta Biswa Sarma elected to BWF Council
- The Badminton Association of India (BAI)President Himanta Biswa Sarma has been elected as a Member of the Badminton World Federation for the period 2021-25.
- He is also the Vice President of Badminton Asia and the Chief Minister of Assam.
Narinder Batra re-elected as FIH President
- Narinder Batra has been re-elected as the President of the International Hockey Federation (FIH).
Cheetah to be re-introduced in India from Africa in November
- Cheetah, the world’s fastest land animal which was declared extinct in India in 1952, is expected to be re-introduced into the country in November this year at the Kuno National Park in Madhya Pradesh.
- Kuno, positioned within the Chambal area, unfolds over a space of over 750 sq km and has a conducive atmosphere for the cheetah.
PM Modi approved the opening of a new Consulate General of India in the Maldives
- Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the opening of a new Consulate General of India in Addu City, the Maldives in 2021.
- India and Maldives share ethnic, linguistic, cultural, religious and commercial links steeped in antiquity. Maldives occupies an important place in the ‘Neighbourhood First Policy’ and the ‘SAGAR’ (Security and Growth for All in the Region) vision of the Government of India.
DRDO develops Covid-19 antibody detection kit ‘DIPCOVAN’
- The DIPCOVAN kit can detect both spikes as well as nucleocapsid proteins of Coronavirus with a high sensitivity of 97%. It has been approved by the Indian Council of Medical Research.
Cabinet approves opening of a new Consulate General of India in the Maldives
- Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the opening of a new Consulate General of India in Addu City, the Maldives in 2021.
- India and Maldives share ethnic, linguistic, cultural, religious and commercial links steeped in antiquity. Maldives occupies an important place in the ‘Neighbourhood First Policy and the ‘SAGAR’ (Security and Growth for All in the Region) vision of the Government of India.
Ayush Ministry Organises Series Of 5 Webinars On “Be With Yoga, Be At Home”
- The Ministry of Ayush is organising various activities in the run-up to the International Day of Yoga, 2021.
- One among these is a series of five webinars that the Ministry is organising under the broad theme of“Be with Yoga, Be at Home” in collaboration with five renowned organisations of the country who will present one webinar each on a particular topic.
- Some renowned Organisations are:- The Art of Living, The Yoga Institute, ArhamDhyanYog, etc.
Rajnath Singh launches SeHAT OPD portal
- Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh has launched the ‘Services e-Health Assistance & Tele-consultation (SeHAT) OPD portal, through video conferencing. The main motive of the portal is to provide telemedicine services to the serving Armed Forces personnel, veterans and their families.
- The portal can be accessed at https://sehatopd.in/, to avail the telemedicine services
IBF to be renamed as Indian Broadcasting and Digital Foundation
- The Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF), the apex body of broadcasters, is being renamed as Indian Broadcasting and Digital Foundation (IBDF), as it expands its purview to cover digital platforms to bring all digital (OTT) players under one roof.
IIT Ropar develops unique detector ‘FakeBuster’
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roparand Monash University, Australia have developed a detector named ‘FakeBuster’ to identify imposters attending a virtual conference without anybody’s knowledge.
TRIFED and NITI AAYOG to partner to implement the Van Dhan Yojana
- TRIFED (Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India),Ministry of Tribal Affairs is set to partner with NITI Aayog for implementation of Van Dhan Vikas Kendra (VDVK) initiative under Van Dhan Yojna in 14 Indian states.
- Van Dhan tribal start-ups or VDVK is a programme for value addition, branding & marketing of Minor Forest Produces by establishing Van Dhan Kendras to facilitate the creation of sustainable livelihoods for the forest-based tribes.
- It was launched on 14th April
Hong Kong woman breaks record for the fastest ascent of Everest
- Tsang Yin-hung, a Hong Kong-based mountaineer, has created the record of the world’s fastest ascent of Everest by a woman, within the time of just under 26 hours.
- The 44-year-old Tsang, scaled the 8,848.86-metre (29,031 feet)Everest mountain in a record time of 25 hours and 50 minutes on May 23.
David Barnea Appointed as Israel’s Next Mossad Chief
- Israeli prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu appointed David Barnea as the new head of the country’s spy agency, the
US Senate confirms Christine Wormuth as first female Army secretary
- Christine Wormuthwas confirmed unanimously by the Senate to be the first female secretary of the Army.
Bashar Al-Assad Re-Elected as Syrian President for 4th Term
- Syrian president, Bashar al-Assad has been re-elected for the fourth straight 7-year term in a landslide victory, winning 95.1 per cent of the total votes cast. The 55-year-old Assad is serving as the 19th President of Syria since 17 July 2000.
- On the eve of the election, the United States, Britain, France, Germany and Italy said the poll was “neither free nor fair”, and Syria’s fragmented opposition has called it a “farce”.
IMF proposes $50 billion global vaccination plan
- The International Monetary Fund has proposed a $50 billion global vaccination plan that would cover at least 40 per cent of the global population by the end of 2021 and at least 60 per cent by the first half of
- The vaccination target requires additional upfront grants to Covax, donating surplus doses and free cross-border flows of raw materials and finished vaccines.
NASA to send its first mobile robot to search for water on the moon
- The United States National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) as part of its Artemis program,is planning to send its first mobile robot to the Moon in late 2023 in search of ice and other resources on and below the lunar surface.
- The Volatiles Investigating Polar Exploration Rover or VIPERwill collect data that would help NASA map resources at the lunar South Pole that could one day be harvested for long-term human exploration at the Moon.
Mohali international hockey stadium renamed after Balbir Singh Senior
- The Punjab Governmentfinally announced to rename the Mohali International Hockey Stadium, after triple Olympian and Padma Shri Balbir Singh Sr.
- The stadium will now be known as Olympian Balbir Singh Senior International Hockey Stadium.
- Balbir Singh Sr played an important role in making the Indian hockey team a three-time Olympics champion.
Kerala’s new Smart Kitchen Scheme
- Chief Minister of Kerala, Pinarayi Vijayan has announced a secretary-level committee will formulate guidelines and recommendations on the implementation of the “Smart Kitchen Scheme” in the state to fulfil commitments of the Left Democratic Front (LDF).
Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma Appoints ‘Guardian Ministers’
- Assam chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma has appointed ‘Guardian Ministers’ to oversee the implementation of government policy decisions, administrative reforms, and other welfare schemes in all the 34 districts of the state.
- 13 ‘Guardian Ministers’ has been appointed for all 34 districts in Assam, for balanced, speedy and sustainable developments of these districts.
Uttarakhand CM declared Vatsalya Yojana for children orphaned due to Corona
- Uttarakhand chief Minister Tirath Singh Rawat has announced Chief Minister Vatsalya Yojana for orphaned children who have lost their parents due to Covid-19.
- Under the scheme, the State Government will make arrangements for their maintenance, education and training for employment up to the age of 21 years.
- The Chief Minister said that such orphaned children of the state will be given a maintenance allowance of 3000 rupees per month.
Ashok Kumar, the only Indian referee to officiate in wrestling in Tokyo Olympics
- Ashok Kumar will be the only referee from the country to officiate in wrestling matches of the Tokyo Olympic Games. He was named in the list of officials released by the United World Wrestling (UWW).
Casper Ruud wins Men’s Singles title at Geneva Open tennis
- Norway’sCasper Ruud has won the ATP Geneva Open final with a 7-6 (8/6), 6-4 victory over Denis Shapovalov.
Red Bull’s Max Verstappen wins Monaco Grand Prix 2021
- Red Bull’s Max Verstappen has won the Monaco Grand Prix for the first time to take the Formula One championship lead from Lewis Hamilton.
Atletico Madrid clinches La Liga title
- Atletico Madridpipped city rivals Real Madrid to the La Liga title on 22nd May Luis Suarez fired them to a 2-1 comeback win at Real Valladolid.
FIFA U-17 women’s World Cup to be held in India in October 2022
- The U-17 women’s World Cup will be held in India from October 11 to 30 next year, Fifa Council said on 21st
- India was earlier scheduled to host the 2020 U-17 World Cup but it was postponed to 2021 before being cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The Council also approved dates for the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2022 (11-30 October 2022), FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Costa Rica 2022(10-28 August 2022).
Neena Gupta announces autobiography “Sach Kahun Toh”
- Bollywood actor Neena Gupta is all set to launch her autobiography “Sach Kahun Toh”, publisher Penguin Random House India.
- The book addresses issues like casting couch, film industry politics, and also talks about what it takes for a young actor to survive without a godfather or guide.
A new book to raise funds for child rights amid a pandemic
- Aditya Gupta, a Delhi-based entrepreneur and mountaineer aim to raise Rs 1 crore for COVID-19 relief from the sale proceeds of his recently released book “7 Lessons from Everest – Expedition Learnings from Life and Business”.
‘India and Asian Geopolitics: The Past, Present’ is authored by Shivshankar Menon
- A book has titled ‘India and Asian Geopolitics: The Past, Present’s authored by Shivshankar Menon.
- He was the Prime Minister’s National Security Adviser and Foreign Secretary.
Foreign direct investment jumps 19% to $59.64 bn in 2020-21
- Foreign direct investments (FDI)into the country grew 19 per cent to USD 59.64 billion during 2020-21 on account of measures taken by the government on the fronts of policy reforms, investment facilitation and ease of doing business. Total FDI, including equity, re-invested earnings and capital, rose 10 per cent to the “highest ever” of USD 81.72 billion during 2020-21 as against USD 74.39 billion in 2019-20.
- In terms of top investor countries, Singapore is at the top with 29 per cent It was followed by the US (23 per cent) and Mauritius (9 per cent)during the last fiscal. FDI equity inflow grew by 19 per cent in 2020-21 (USD 59.64 billion), compared to 2019-20 (USD 49.98 billion).
International Day for Biological Diversity: 22 May
- The United Nations celebrates International Day for Biological Diversity on 22 May every year to raise awareness about the issue of a significant reduction in biological diversity due to certain human activities.
- This year 2021 the theme is “We’re part of the solution”.
World Thyroid Day celebrated on 25 May
- World Thyroid Day is observed globally on 25 May every year.
- The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland in the throat that produces T3 (Thyroxine)and T4 (Triiodothyronine) and maintained by the Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH). It regulates the metabolism of the body and abnormalities in this may cause dysfunctioning body systems.
- The decrease in thyroid hormone causes hypothyroidism(sudden weight gain) and the increase in thyroid hormone causes hyperthyroidism.
Indian Commonwealth Day: 24th May
- Commonwealth Day is celebrated on the second Monday in the month of March every year.
- This year the theme for Commonwealth Day is: Delivering a Common Future.
World Hunger Day observed on 28 May
- World Hunger Day is observed globally on 28 May every year.
Vesak Day 2021 observed globally on 26 May
- Vesak Day 2021is observed globally on 26 May. Vesak, the Day of Full Moon is the most sacred day to Buddhists all over the world. On this day, Lord Gautham Buddha attained enlightenment.
Amnesty International Day: 28 May
- Amnesty International Day is observed every year on May 28, because it was on this day in 1961 that this non-governmental organization was founded in London.
- The organisation has won the 1977 Nobel Peace Prize for its “defence of human dignity against torture,” and the United Nations Prize in the Field of Human Rights in 1978.
International Everest Day: 29th May
- International Everest Day is being observed on 29th May.
- Nepalese Tenzing Norgay and New Zealand’s Edmund Hillary had climbed Mt. Everest on this day in 1953, as the first humans to achieve the feat. Nepal decided to observe the day as International Everest Day in 2008 when the legendary climber Hillary passed away.
- Everest Day on May 29 every year in memory of the first summit of Mt. Everest by Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay Sherpa on the day in 1953. The day is celebrated with memorial events, processions, and special events in Kathmandu and the Everest region.
China’s ‘father of hybrid rice’ Yuan Longping passes away
- Chinese scientist Yuan Longping, renowned for developing a hybrid rice strain that vastly improved the grain output in the country, passed away at the age of 91.
- Yuan succeeded in cultivating a high-yield hybrid rice strain in 1973, which was later grown on a large scale in China and other countries to substantially raise output.
Indian boxing’s first Dronacharya awardee coach O P Bhardwaj passes away
- Bhardwaj was India’s national boxing coach from 1968 to 1989& also served as a national selector. He was the first chief instructor for the sport at the National Institute of Sports India in Patiala.
Current Affairs MCQ: 22-31 May 2021
Awards and Recognitions
- Who among the following are the Indian peacekeepers to be honoured with the UN’s prestigious medal?
[A] Corporal Yuvraj Singh
[B] Ivan Michael Picardo
[C] Moolchand Yadav
[D] All of the above
- Name the Indian who has recently won the 2021 Princess of Asturias Award.
[A] Abhijit Banerjee
[B] Amartya Kumar Sen
[C] Arvind Subramanian
[D] Raghuram Rajan
- Who among these scientists has been conferred with the International Eni Award 2020?
[A] G. Madhavan Nair
[B] Roddam Narasimha
[C] Bernard Raveau
[D] N.R. Rao
- Who is India’s first and only woman in the IAF qualified for flight test engineer?
[A] Amrita V Olety
[B] Aashritha V Olety
[C] Ajanta V Olety
[D] Aashritha S O
- Who became the first Indian to win the Rudolf V Schindler award?
[A] V. Narasimha Reddy
[B] D Nagarjuna Reddy
[C] D Nagendra Reddy
[D] D Nageshwar Reddy
- Who was conferred with President’s award by International Hockey Federation through the 47th FIH Congress?
[A] K. V Pandian
[B] Sreekanth Kumar
[C] V Karthikeyan Pandian
[D] Vijaykumar M.R
- What is the new name of Mohali International Hockey Stadium?
[A] Major Dhyan Chand International Hockey Stadium
[B] Olympian Balbir Singh Senior International Hockey Stadium
[C] Mahindra Hockey International Hockey Stadium
[D] Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Hockey Stadium
- Who among the following has been awarded the India Biodiversity Award 2021?
[A] Rumana Sinha Segal
[B] Tahera Qutbuddin
[C] Suresh Mukund
[D] Shaji N M
- Etienne Glichitch Award is associated with which sport?
- Who has won the 2021 Templeton prize for life’s work on animal intelligence and humanity?
[A] Tahera Qutbuddin
[B] Anupam Kher
[C] Shakuntala Haraksingh
[D] Jane Goodall
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet, headed by the Prime Minister, has given a one-year extension to Samanta Goel. He is the chief of _______________.
[A] Research and Analysis Wing
[B] Intelligence Bureau
[C] Central Bureau of Investigation
- Who has been appointed as the Commerce Secretary?
[A] Ajay Seth
[B] G P Samanta
[C] Pradip Kumar Tripathi
[D] B V R Subrahmanyam
- The International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA) has constituted an expert committee on Investment Funds. Who is the chairperson of this committee?
[A] Sankaran Naren
[B] Ajay Bagga
[C] Nilesh Shah
[D] Ridham Desai
- Who is the only referee from India to officiate in wrestling matches of the Tokyo Olympic Games?
[A] Aravind Kumar
[B] Amitab Kumar
[C] Anand Kumar
[D] Ashok Kumar
- Who has been recently elected as the president of the International Narcotics Control Board?
[A] Jagjit Pandit
[B] Jayaram Pandia
[C] Jayaram Pavadia
[D] Jagjit Pavadia
- Recently, David Barnea has appointed as the head of Mossad. Which of the following nation’s spy agency is Mossad?
- Who has been appointed Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)?
[A] Subodh Jaiswal
[B] KR Chandra
[C] VS Kaumudi
[D] Shivdeep Waman Lanbe
- Who among the following has been elected as Oxford student union president?
[A] Vikram Verma
[B] Rashmi Tripathi
[C] Amit Singh
[D] Anvee Bhutani
- Who has been appointed as the new President of the International Hockey Federation (FIH) for 3 years till 2024?
[A] Suresh Kalmadi
[B] Narinder Batra
[C] Narayana Ramachandran
[D] Abhay Singh Chautala
- Who has been appointed as CEO of Reserve Bank Innovation Hub?
[A] Rajesh Bansal
[B] Rajeev Bansal
[C] Rakesh Bansal
[D] Ravi Bansal
- Who has topped the list of Forbes Highest paid Athletes 2021?
[A] Lionel Messi
[B] LeBron James
[C] Cristiano Ronaldo
[D] Conor McGregor
- Who has been elected as a Member of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Council for the period 2021-25?
[A] Himanta Biswa Sarma
[B] Geraldine Brown
[C] Vishu Tolan
[D] Peter Tarcala
National Current Affairs
- Cheetah, the world’s fastest land animal which was declared extinct in India in 1952, is expected to be re-introduced into the country in November this year at the Kuno National Park. Where is Kuno National Park located?
[D] Madhya Pradesh
- The SeHAT OPD Portal has been launched by the government to provide telemedicine services to ____________.
[D] Armed Forces
- Which of the following bank has recently announced the launch of a unique facility of linking a UPI (Unified Payments Interface) ID to its digital wallet ’Pockets?
[A] Axis Bank
[B] IDBI Bank
[C] ICICI Bank
[D] SBI Bank
- __________ and_________ have recently partnered to implement the Van Dhan Yojana in Tribal Clusters of all Aspirational districts of India.
[A] TRIFED, NITI Aayog
[B] NITI Aayog, NAFED
[C] NAFED, TRIFED
[D] TRIFED, RBI
- _____________and ___________have developed a unique detector ‘FakeBuster’ to detect imposters attending a virtual conference?
[A] IIT Delhi and Monash University
[B] IIT Mumbai and Monash University
[C] IIT Palakad and Monash University
[D] IIT Ropar and Monash University
- Who among the following has chaired the 74th World Health Assembly?
[A] Shripad Yesso Naik
[B] Harsh Vardhan
[C] KK Shailaja
[D] Ashwini Kumar Choubey
- Which country, India has signed a 3-year program for Cooperation in Agriculture?
- Foreign direct investment into India has grew 19% to ___________ in 2020-21.
[A] $25.36 billion
[B] $34.44 billion
[C] $59.64 billion
[D] $82.22 billion
- Cabinet approves opening of a new Consulate General of India in Addu City ___________.
- Which of the following country has named cyclone ‘Yaas’?
- Which of the following institution recently developed a Covid-19 antibody detection kit ‘DIPCOVAN’?
- Temples of Kancheepuram, one of the Six Heritage Sites which has been added to India’s UNESCO World Heritage sites Tentative List, is located in which state?
[D] Tamil Nadu
State Current Affairs
- Which state has appointed ‘Guardian Ministers’ to oversee implementation of central and state government policy?
[B] Tamil Nadu
[C] Himachal Pradesh
[D] Jammu & Kashmir
- Which state government has recently launched Smart Kitchen Scheme?
[D] West Bengal
- Which state government has recently launched the “Mission Oxygen Self-Reliance” scheme to meet its oxygen needs?
- Which of the following state recently launched ‘Sanjeevani Pariyojana’ to treat COVID patients at home?
[A] Uttar Pradesh
- Name the state, which recently launched Chief Minister Vatsalya Yojana for orphaned children.
[A] Himachal Pradesh
[D] West Bengal
- Recently, which of the following state government has launched the ‘HIT Covid App’ to ensure regular monitoring and tracking of those Covid-19 patients?
- Which state has ranked first in the implementation of Smart City Mission schemes?
[B] Madhya Pradesh
International Current Affairs
- Laurence des Cars makes history by becoming the first woman chief of the Louvre museum. Where is Louvre Museum located?
[A] Madrid, Spain
[B] Geneva, Switzerland
[C] Rome, Italy
[D] Paris, France
- Tsang Yin-hung has recorded the “world’s fastest ascent of Everest by a woman” in just 26 hours. She is from which country?
[A] Hong Kong
[C] South Korea
- Bashar Al-Assad has been re-elected for the 4th term as the President of which of the following country?
- United States Senate confirms ________ as first female Army secretary.
[A] Clara Leach
[B] Kathleen Hicks
[C] Christine Wormuth
[D] Donna Feigley Barbisch
- Which country is designing a new Earth System Observatory to guide efforts related to climate change and disaster mitigation?
[A] United States
- Guillermo Lasso has been elected as the president of which of the following country?
[D] Burkina Faso
- Who will officially become the CEO of Amazon on July 5th?
[A] Brian T. Olsavsky
[B] David H. Clark
[C] Andrew R. Jassy
[D] Shelley L. Reynolds
- Collinet Makosso has recently been appointed as the Prime Minister of ______________.
[D] Republic of Congo
- Which of the following nation will develop a global pandemic radar to detect Covid-19 variants?
[B] United Kingdom
- Where is the world’s biggest iceberg located?
[A] Ross Sea
[B] Sargasso sea
[C] Weddell Sea
[D] Amundsen Sea
- Which of the following Institution has recently proposed a $50 billion global vaccination plan that would cover at least 40 per cent of the global population by the end of 2021?
[A] World Bank
[C] New Development Bank
- Which country hosted the Global G-20 Health Summit 2021?
- Which of the following web browser has decided to retire with effect from 15 June 2022?
[A] Microsoft Edge
[C] Google Chrome
India’s Rank in Different Index
- What is the rank of Asia’s richest person Mukesh Ambani at the recently released Bloomberg Billionaire Index?
Sports Current Affairs
- Who among the following has clinched the Geneva Open 2021?
[A] Casper Ruud
[B] Denis Shapovalov
[C] Diego Schwartzman
[D] Reilly Opelka
- When is the U-17 Women’s World Cup to be held in India?
[A] December 2021
[B] October 2022
[C] August 2023
[D] November 2022
- Which football club has won the La Liga title 2020-21?
[A] Real Madrid
[C] Atletico Madrid
[D] Athletic Bilbao
- Who has won the Monaco Grand Prix 2021?
[A] Max Verstappen
[B] Lewis Hamilton
[C] Carlos Sainz Jr.
[D] L. Norris
- __________became the first club to win both the men’s and women’s Champions League.
[A] Real Madrid
[C] Man City
Books and Authors
- A new book titled “7 Lessons from Everest Expedition Learnings from Life and Business” has been authored by _________.
[A] Pankaj Mathur
[B] Amit Prakash
[C] Sundar Patel
[D] Aditya Gupta
- Bollywood actor _________ is all set to launch her autobiography “Sach Kahun Toh”, publisher Penguin Random House India.
[A] Juhi Chawla
[B] Madhuri Dixit
[C] Ayesha Jhulka
[D] Neena Gupta
- A book has titled ‘India and Asian Geopolitics: The Past, Present’ is authored by __________.
[A] Brijesh Kumar Pathak
[B] Chirasree Bose
[C] Kapil Raj
[D] Shivshankar Menon
- Who among the following is the author of the book “Nehru, Tibet and China”?
[A] T. Sathish
[B] Arpit Agrawal
[C] Avtar Singh Bhasin
[D] Shantanu Munshi
Important Days and Themes
- On which date, International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers is observed every year globally?
[A] 27 May
[B] 28 May
[C] 29 May
[D] 30 May
- International Everest Day is observed every year on _________________.
[A] 30th May
[B] 29th May
[C] 27th May
[D] 26th May
- When the Amnesty International Day is observed?
[A] May 31
[B] May 30
[C] May 29
[D] May 28
- When is World Hunger Day observed?
[A] 25 May
[B] 28 May
[C] 26 May
[D] 27 May
- Vesak, the Day of Full Moon is the most sacred day to Buddhists all over the world. Vesak Day 2021 is observed globally on ________.
[A] 23 May
[B] 24 May
[C] 27 May
[D] 26 May
- In India, Commonwealth Day is celebrated on ___________.
[A] 23 May
[B] 24 May
[C] 25 May
[D] 26 May
- World Thyroid Day is observed globally on _______ every year.
[A] 25 May
[B] 24 May
[C] 23 May
[D] 22 May
- H S Doreswamy passed away recently. He was a/an _________.
[C] Freedom Fighter
- Chinese scientist Yuan Longping passed away recently. He was renowned for developing ______________.
[A] Hybrid Oilseeds
[B] Hybrid Millets
[C] Hybrid Cotton
[D] Hybrid Rice
- With which sport is O P Bhardwaj, a recipient of the Dronacharya award, who passed away recently, associated with?
- Sunderlal Bahuguna has passed away recently. He was a/ an ________________.
[C] Classical Vocalist
- President of FIFA: Gianni Infantino; Founded: 21 May 1904
- Amazon.com Inc Headquarters: Seattle, Washington, United States; Founded: 5 July 1994
- Syria Capital: Damascus; Currency: Syrian pound
- Badminton World Federation Headquarters: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia;
- International Hockey Federation (FIH) Headquarters: Lausanne, Switzerland.
- SBI Chairperson: Dinesh Kumar Khara; SBI Headquarters: Mumbai; SBI Founded: 1 July 1955.
- World Meteorological Organisation Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
- International Narcotics Control Board Headquarters: Vienna, Austria.
- Indian Air Chief Marshal: Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria; Indian Airforce founded: 8 October 1932.
- President of FIFA: Gianni Infantino; Founded: 21 May 1904; Headquarters: Zürich, Switzerland.
- Nepali name of Mt. Everest: Sagarmatha; Tibetan name: Chomolungma.
- Prime minister of Nepal: KP Sharma Oli; President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari; Capital of Nepal: Kathmandu; Currency: Nepalese rupee.
- Capital of Maldives: Male; Currency of the Maldives: Maldivian Rufiyaa.
- Minister of State (IC) of the Ministry of AYUSH: Shripad Yesso Naik.
- Chief Minister of Uttarakhand: Tirath Singh Rawat; Governor of Uttarakhand: Baby Rani Maurya
- Ecuador Capital: Quito; Ecuador Currency: United States Dollar
- IMF Headquarters: Washington, D.C. U.S.; IMF Managing Director and Chairman: Kristalina Georgieva
- Israel Capital: Jerusalem; Israel Currency: Israeli Shekel.
- Minister of Tribal Affairs: Arjun Munda.
- NITI Aayog Formed: 1 January 2015; NITI Aayog Headquarters: New Delhi; NITI Aayog Chairperson: Narendra Modi.
- Chairman DRDO: Dr G Satheesh Reddy; Headquarters: New Delhi; Established: 1958.
- Central Bureau of Investigation Headquarters: New Delhi; Founded: 1 April 1963.
Previous: Current Affairs Update 15-21 May 2021
Download Current Affairs Yearbook 2021 (January- December 2020) Free PDF: Click Here