Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021
Here is the Daily Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021 covering the following news headlines: UNESCO World Press Freedom Prize, Mamata Banerjee and M. K Stalin take oath as West Bengal and Tamil Nadu CM respectively, International Labour Day, World Press Freedom Day, etc.
Daily Current Affairs updates are incorporated with the important news that made the current affairs headlines for WBCS or other competitive exams. Daily Current Affairs Update is the complete bag of the important news that held all day long. Aspirants shall have a clear view of the whereabouts of the world on a daily basis.
So, here is the Daily Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021 to help you prepare the Current affairs part. After reading this section, you can successfully attempt the Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021 Quiz.
Latest Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021
Awards and Recognitions
Maria Ressa receives UNESCO World Press Freedom Prize
- Investigative journalist and media executive Maria Ressa of the Philippines has been named as the 2021 laureate of the UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize, following the recommendation of an international jury of media professionals.
- The $25,000 prize “recognizes outstanding contributions to the defence or promotion of press freedom especially in the face of danger,” according to UNESCO.
Japan to confer Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Rays decoration to Bengaluru teacher
- Bengaluru teacher Shyamala Ganesh, the former director of the Japanese Language School, will be conferred the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Rays.
Mamata Banerjee takes oath as West Bengal CM for the 3rd consecutive time
- Mamata Banerjee is serving as the 8th and current Chief Minister of West Bengal since 2011, the first woman to hold the office.
- Mamata Banerjee was sworn as West Bengal Chief Minister for the third time in the shadow of Covid and post-poll violence in parts of the state. The oath ceremony took place with Covid protocols in place at the “Throne Room” at the Raj Bhavan.
- The rest of the cabinet and the council of ministers will be sworn in on May 9, the birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore.
- Mamata Banerjee won a landslide victory in the Bengal election to secure a third straight term. The Trinamool won 213 of 292 seats while its strongest rival, BJP, finished second with 77 seats.
MK Stalin appointed Tamil Nadu Chief Minister
- Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit appointed DMK president M.K. Stalin as the Chief Minister and invited him to form the government in the State on May 7.
- The DMK has won 133 of the total 234 Assembly seats that went to the polls on April 6. Some more seats were won by allies, including the Congress that bagged 18 constituencies.
PV Sindhu, Michelle Li Named Athlete Ambassadors for IOC’s ‘Believe in Sports’ Campaign
- World champion and Olympic silver medallist P V Sindhu and world no 11 Canada’s Michelle Li have been nominated as athlete ambassadors for International Olympic Committee’s ‘Believe in Sports’ campaign, the Badminton World Federation said.
National Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021
Madhya Pradesh: Rs, 379 crores transferred into accounts of 16,844 beneficiaries under Sambal scheme
- In Madhya Pradesh, 379 crore rupees have been transferred into the accounts of 16 thousand 844 beneficiaries under the Mukhyamantri Jan-Kalyan Sambal scheme.
- Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan said state government accords high priority to benefit the poor families of unorganised sector workers.
Himachal Pradesh is Building ‘Forest Ponds’ to Harvest Rainwater to Replenish Groundwater
- Forest ponds are being constructed in Himachal Pradesh to check the depletion of groundwater and to harvest rainwater.
- Under the Parvat Dhara scheme, the government has initiated rejuvenation of water sources and recharging aquifers through the forest department with an outlay of Rs 20 crore.
BRO’s Project DANTAK completes 60 years in Bhutan
- The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) said that one of its oldest project — DANTAK commemorated its Diamond Jubilee in Bhutan.
- Project DANTAK was established on April 24, 1961, as a result of the visionary leadership of His Majesty the Third King and then Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru. Identifying the utmost importance of connectivity in spurring the socio-economic development and growth of Bhutan, DANTAK was tasked to construct the pioneering motorable roads in the Kingdom.
India’s first 3D printed house by IIT Madras startup
- Tvasta, a startup by alumni of IIT Madras, constructed India’s first 3D printed house. The house was inaugurated by Finance Minister Nirmala Sithraman.
International Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021
UK Government approves Self-Driving Cars at slow speeds on public roads
- The UK government became the first country to announce it will regulate the use of self-driving vehicles at slow speeds on motorways, with the first such cars possibly appearing on public roads as soon as this year.
World’s powerful weather, climate-change forecasting supercomputer to be built in the UK
- Microsoft and UK’s Met Office have teamed up to build the world’s most powerful supercomputer to forecast weather and climate change.
Sports Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021
Hamilton wins Portuguese Grand Prix 2021
- Lewis Hamilton claiming his 97th career victory with a win at the Portuguese Grand Prix over Red Bull’s Max Verstappen and Mercedes teammate Valteri Bottas.
- The victory for Hamilton is his second of the season and puts him eight points ahead of Red Bull’s Verstappen in the title standings.
Swimming: Srihari Nataraj creates a third national record, wins gold at Uzbekistan Open
- Indian swimmer Srihari Natarajcreated a national record in 50m backstrokes while winning his second gold of the Uzbekistan Open Championship in Tashkent.
- The 20-year-old clocked 25.11 seconds to bag the top prize at the FINA-accredited Olympic qualifying event.
- It was Srihari’s third national record in two days as the Bengaluru swimmer had rewritten the national marks twice in 100m backstrokes, his pet event.
Tokyo Olympics: Indian gymnast Pranati Nayak gets Asian quota, to compete at Games
- India gymnast Pranati Nayak, who had claimed a bronze in the vault at the Asian Artistic Gymnastics Championships in 2019, is set to compete at the Tokyo Olympics after qualifying through the continental quota.
- The 26-year-old from West Bengal is the second reserve behind Sri Lanka’s Elpitiya Badalge Dona Milka Geh for the Asian quota and became eligible to compete from the zone following the cancellation of the 9th Senior Asian Championships, which was scheduled to be held from May 29-June 1 in Hangzhou, China, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Business & Economy Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021
Wipro overtakes HCL Tech to become third most-valued Indian IT firm
- IT major Wipro regained the position as India’s third most-valued information technology (IT) company, surpassing HCL Technologies in terms of market capitalisation (market-cap).
- Wipro stood at number 12 in the overall m-cap ranking with an m-cap of Rs 2.65 trillion. HCL Technologies, meanwhile, slipped to number 13 with an m-cap of Rs 2.62 trillion.
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), which is at the number one position in IT companies market-cap rank, stands strong with a market cap of Rs 11.47 trillion, followed by Infosys (Rs 5.72 trillion), data shows.
Books and Authors
New book ‘Akhtari: The Life and Music of Begum Akhtar’ released
- Publishers HarperCollins and Vani Prakashan released a book on singing star Akhtaribai Faizabadi a.k.a Begum Akhtar.
- Titled “Akhtari: The Life and Music of Begum Akhtar”, it will be released in two languages – Hindi and English.
- The book outlines the life of the legendary singer through essays, interviews, and conversations she shared with her closest friends including Bismillah Khan, Lata Mangeshkar, and Shubha Mudgal.
Important Days and Themes
International Labour Day
- International Workers’ Day, also known as Labour Day in most countries, is celebrated on May 1every year.
- The day is a celebration of labourers around the world. The day has its origins in the labour union movement, specifically the eight-hour day movement.
World Laughter Day: 02 May, 2021
- World Laughter Day is celebrated every year on the first Sunday of May to raise awareness about laughter and its many healing benefits.
- This year the day falls on May 02, 2021.
World Press Freedom Day: 03 May
- Every year May 3rd is observed as World Press Freedom Day to inform the international community that freedom of the press and freedom of expression are fundamental human rights.
- The theme for this year’s World Press Freedom Day is “Information as a Public Good”.
International fire-fighter’s Day: 04 May
- International fire-fighter’s Day is observed each year on 4th May.
- The day is celebrated to honour the work of firefighting professionals, who dedicate their lives to the protection of people and property.
World Hand Hygiene Day: 05 May
- May 5is observed as the World Hand Hygiene Day and this is like the last, this day holds a lot of significance in our lives as we are grappling with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This year, the theme for World Hand Hygiene Day is “Achieving hand hygiene at the point of care”.The slogan for this day is, “Seconds save lives – clean your hands!”
Ex-Union Minister, Jammu and Kashmir Governor Jagmohan passes away
- Former civil servant and ex-Jammu and Kashmir Governor Jagmohan Malhotra, 94, died in Delhi after a brief spell of illness.
- Jagmohan served J&K as Governor twice, first in 1984 and later in 1990, when militancy peaked. He was honoured with Padma Shri in 1971, Padma Bhushan in 1977 and Padma Vibhushan in 2016.
Assam’s first female IAS officer Parul Debi Das passes away
- Parul Debi Das, the first female IAS officer from Assam, passed away in Guwahati.
- Parul Debi Das had also served in Meghalaya for a short time in the late 80s.
- She had retired from service as the Additional Chief Secretary of Assam.
Aeronautical scientist Manas Bihari Verma passes away
- Aeronautical scientist Manas Bihari Verma died of a heart attack at his native place in Darbhanga district of Bihar. He was 78.
- Mr Verma played a vital role in the development of the Light Combat Aircraft – Tejas. He was a close associate of former President APJ Abdul Kalam. In 2018, he was conferred Padma Sri.
Sitar maestro Pandit Devabrata Chaudhuri passes away
- Sitar Maestro Pandit Devabrata Chaudhuri, who was widely known as Debu Chaudhuri passed away in Delhi due to COVID-19 complications. He was 85.
- The Legend of Sitar belonged to the Senia or Gharana style of music. He had been awarded the Padma Bhushan and the Padma Shri.
Top Current Affairs MCQ Update 01-07 May 2021
- Name the Indian cricketer who has been appointed as the brand ambassador of Japanese Sportswear brand ASICS?
[A] Virat Kohli
[B] Hardik Pandya
[C] Ravindra Jadeja
[D] KL Rahu
- Who has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Bharat Earth Movers Limited, (BEML)?
[A] Arun Raste
[B] Rekha Menon
[C] Sushil Chandra
[D] Amit Banerjee
- Who has been appointed as the new finance secretary of India whose appointment has been approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet?
[A] Ajey Seth
[B] Tuhin Kanta Pandey
[C] TV Somanathan
[D] Debasish Panda
- Name the UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador who has led the global vaccination drive during World Immunization Week.
[A] Arijit Pasayat
[B] Diya Mirza
[C] David Beckham
[D] Sukhbir Singh
- MK Stalin was sworn in as Chief Minister of which state?
[C] Andhra Pradesh
[D] Tamil Nadu
- Who has been appointed as the new chairman of Bajaj Auto?
[A] Nirav Bajaj
[B] Aneesh Bajaj
[C] Rahul Bajaj
[D] Niraj Bajaj
Awards & Recognitions
- Who has been named as the 2021 laureate of the UNESCO/Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize?
[A] Mahmoud Abu Zeid
[B] Wa Lone
[C] Maria Ressa
[D] Dawit Issak
- Who will be conferred the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold and Silver Rays by Japan?
[A] Shyamala Ganesh
[B] CHV Natarajan
[C] Ankita Jaiswal
[D] Lokesh Sharma
- Which film has won the Best Animated Feature Film Award at the 93rd Academy Awards or Oscars 2021?
[A] Over the Moon
[C] A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
National Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021
- DRDO recently conducted a successful maiden test firing of the 5th generation Python-5 missile. The state of the art missile is which type of missile?
[A] Air-to-Air Missile
[B] Surface-to-Air Missile
[C] Air-to-Surface Missile
[D] Surface-to-Surface Missile
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), successfully test-fired the 5th generation Python-5 Air-to-Air Missile (AAM) from which aircraft?
- In April 2021, which of the following has won the Academy Award for best visual effects for Christopher Nolan’s spy thriller Tenet?
[A] Loyalty Prime India Pvt. Lt[D] [B] Prime Focus Ltd
[C] Allsec Technologies Limited
[D] Libra International Limited
- Which edition of the Indian and French Navy bilateral exercise ‘VARUNA-2021’ is scheduled to be conducted in the Arabian Sea from 25 April 2021?
- Recently Indian Navy launched which operation to bring oxygen-filled cryogenic containers to India from abroad?
[A] Operation Nistar
[B] Operation Vanilla
[C] Mission Sagar II
[D] Samudra Setu II
- Which country approved the proposed sale of six P-8I patrol aircraft and related equipment to India?
- Which operation was launched by armed forces to fight COVID-19 in India?
[B] CO Jeet
- Alstom has successfully manufactured and delivered the 100th electric locomotive to the Indian Railways. The company is based in which country?
- Which Indian startup constructed India’s first 3D printed house?
State Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021
- Which state has won the “E-Panchayat Puraskar 2021” ranking first under Category I?
[A] Madhya Pradesh
[B] Himachal Pradesh
[D] Uttar Pradesh
- In which state, 379 crore rupees have been transferred into the accounts of 16 thousand 844 beneficiaries under the Mukhyamantri Jan-Kalyan Sambal scheme?
[C] Uttar Pradesh
[D] Madhya Pradesh
- Which state is building ‘Forest Ponds’ to Harvest Rainwater to Replenish Groundwater?
[A] Himachal Pradesh
[C] Uttar Pradesh
[D] Andhra Pradesh
International Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021
- Which country has launched a robot prototype named ‘NEO-01’ to clear space debris?
[C] the United States
- Which became the first country in the world to permit self-driving cars on motorways?
[B] United Kingdom
- Scientists discovered the smallest known black hole in the Milky Way Galaxy. They named it as which of the following?
- Which company announced a first-of-its-kind carbon removal initiative called the Restore Fund that will make investments in forestry projects to remove carbon?
- The world’s most powerful weather, climate-change forecasting supercomputer is to be built in which country?
Economy Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021
- What is the upper age limit fixed for MD & CEO and WTDs in private banks by RBI?
[A] 75 years
[B] 62 years
[C] 65 years
[D] 70 years
- What is the estimated GDP growth rate of India for FY22 as projected by Goldman Sachs?
- India Ratings and Research (Ind-RA) has revised downwards the GDP growth forecast of India in FY22 (2021-22) to _______.
[A] 10.1 per cent
[B] 10.2 per cent
[C] 10.3 per cent
[D] 10.4 per cent
India’s Rank in Different Indexes
- What is the rank of India in the SIPRI Military Expenditure Database for the year 2020?
- Along with Jio Platform which company have figured in Time Magazine’s first-ever list of 100 Most Influential Companies?
[C] Big Basket
[D] ReNew Power
- Which of the following is at the top spot in research firm YouGov’s 2021 Technology Rankings in April 2021?
Sports Current Affairs Update 01-07 May 2021
- Which team has beaten Tottenham Hotspur in London to win the Carabao Cup final football tournament?
[A] Manchester City
- Who has won the 68th Edition of Barcelona Open?
[A] Stefanos Tsitsipas
[B] Novak Djokovic
[C] Rafael Nadal
[D] Roger Federer
- The Asian Boxing Championship has moved from India to which country due to Covid-19?
- Recently Thisara Perera announced his retirement from international cricket. He played from which country?
- Who won the Portuguese Grand Prix 2021?
[A] Valtteri Vottas
[B] Lewis Hamilton
[C] Sebastian Vettel
[D] Max Verstappen
- Who won the Spanish Grand Prix 2021?
[A] Jack Miller
[B] Lewis Hamilton
[C] Sebastian Vettel
[D] Francesco Bagnaia
- Nuwan Zoysa was banned from all form of crickets for six years after being found guilty of trying to fix matches by ICC. He hails from which country?
[A] Sri Lanka
- Which Indian swimmer created a national record in 50m backstrokes while winning his second gold of the Uzbekistan Open Championship in Tashkent?
[A] Ankit Rawat
[B] Pratyush Shukla
[C] Dinesh Rawat
[D] Srihari Nataraj
- Recently which Indian gymnast got an Asian quota to compete at Tokyo Olympics?
[A] Pranati Nayak
[B] Manika Batra
[C] Anamika Singh
[D] Vartika Rautewal
- Which Indian player has been nominated as athlete ambassadors for International Olympic Committee’s ‘Believe in Sports’ campaign?
[A] PV Sindhu
[B] Abhinav Bindra
[C] Sania Mirza
[D] Manika Batra
Books & Authors
- Name the author of the novel “Whereabouts”?
[A] Jhumpa Lahiri
[B] Ruskin Bond
[C] Salman Rushdie
[D] Amitav Ghosh
- Who is the author of the e-book titled “Climate Change Explained – for one and all”?
[A] Arun Krishnamurthy
[B] Aakash Ranison
[C] Mike Pandey
[D] Dilip K. Biswas
- Who has authored the book titled “The Living Mountain: A Fable for Our Times”?
[A] Amitav Ghosh
[B] Jhumpa Lahiri
[C] Arundhati Roy
[D] Salman Rushdie
Important Days and Themes of May 2021
- What is the theme of the Ayushman Bharat Diwas 2021?
[A] Seva Bhi, Rozgar Bhi
[B] Atamnirbharta ke liye
[C] Vyapar bhi Rozgar Bhi
[D] Uttam Upchar keliye
- The International Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day is observed every year on _____.
[A] April 22
[B] April 23
[C] April 24
[D] April 26
- Which day of the year is commemorated as World Malaria Day (WMD)?
[A] 23 April
[B] 24 April
[C] 25 April
[D] 26 April
- Every year National Panchayati Raj Day is celebrated on _______________.
[A] 22 April
[B] 23 April
[C] 24 April
[D] 25 April
- The World Intellectual Property Day is celebrated every year on which date?
[A] 24th April
[B] 25th April
[C] 26th April
[D] 27th April
- Which day is observed as International Workers Day?
[A] April 30
[B] April 29
[C] May 2
[D] May 1
- When is World laughter Day observed?
[A] April 30th
[B] 1st May
[C] First Saturday of May
[D] First Sunday of May
- What is the theme of this year’s World Press Freedom Day 2021?
[A] Journalism Without fear or favour
[B] Information as a Public Good
[C] Media for Democracy
[D] Keeping power in check
- When is International Firefighters Day observed?
[A] 4th May
[B] 3rd May
[C] 5th May
[D] 2nd May
- Manoj Das, who has passed away recently was a renowned author of English and______?
- Rohit Sardana passed away in April 2021, days after testing positive for COVID-19. He was related to which of the following fields?
- Renowned personality Jagdish Khattar passed away recently, he was the former Managing Director of which vehicle manufacturer?
[B] Maruti Suzuki
[C] Mahindra and Mahindra
[D] Tata Motors
- Padma Bhushan awardee Rajan Mishra passed away recently he was a veteran ______.
[A] Classical Dancer
[D] Classical Singer
- Parul Debi Das passed away. She was the first female IAS officer from which state?
Static GK based on Current Affairs- 01-07 May 2021
- The Headquarters of the Asian Development Bank is located in Mandaluyong, Philippines; Founded: 19 December 1966.
- UNICEF Headquarters: New York, United States of America.
- RBI 25th Governor: Shaktikanta Das; Headquarters: Mumbai; Founded: 1 April 1935, Kolkata
- France – Capital: Paris; Currency – Euro; President – Emmanuel Macron; Prime Minister – Jean Castex; National Sport – Football.
- Chief Minister of Sikkim: PS Golay; Governor of Sikkim: Ganga Prasad.
- Head Quarters of Employees Provident Fund Organisation– New Delhi
- State Bank of India Founded- 1955; Headquarters- Mumbai
- Currency of UAE- Dirham; Capital- Abu Dhabi
- Head Quarters of Asian Boxing Council- Bangkok
- Currency of Singapore- Dollar
- Head Quarters of PAYTM- Noida
- Head Quarters of UNESCO- Paris
- Head Quarters of Samsung- Seoul (South Korea)
- HQ of International Finance Corporation- Washington
- HQ of Wipro- Bengaluru
- HQ of Apple- California
- Currency of Bhutan- Ngultrum
- HQ of New India Assurance Company Limited- Mumbai
- Capital of Norway- Oslo
- HQ of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO)- Brussels
- BSNL founded- 2000; HQ- New Delhi
Download Current Affairs Yearbook 2021 (January- December 2020) Free PDF: Click Here